The Discussion Board (DB) is part of the core of online learning. Classroom discussion in an online environment requires the active participation of students and the instructor to create robust interaction and dialogue. Every student is expected to create an original response to the open-ended DB question as well as engage in dialogue by responding to posts created by others throughout the week. At the end of each unit, DB participation will be assessed based on both level of engagement and the quality of the contribution to the discussion.
At a minimum, each student will be expected to post an original and thoughtful response to the DB question and contribute to the weekly dialogue by responding to at least two other posts from students. The first contribution must be posted before midnight (Central Time) on Friday of each week. Two additional responses are required after Friday of each week. Students are highly encouraged to engage on the Discussion Board early and often, as that is the primary way the university tracks class attendance and participation.
The purpose of the Discussion Board is to allow students to learn through sharing ideas and experiences as they relate to course content and the DB question. Because it is not possible to engage in two-way dialogue after a conversation has ended, no posts to the DB will be accepted after the end of each unit.
Some correctional institutions have arrangements with private industries for the inmates to work while they are incarcerated. Some inmates work phone banks, and some work in manufacturing or other positions.
- Explain what you think would be the pros and cons of this type of employment within a correctional setting.
- What examples can you find of similar types of programs? Where they successful? Why or why not?
Be sure to cite all references in APA format.
Suggestions for Responding to Peer Posts
- How do his or her views correlate with your own? If they are similar, what arguments can you add?
- If his or her views different, did the arguments used make you rethink your position in any way? If so, how?
The following grading criteria will be used for this assignment.
- 40%: Explain what you think would be the pros and cons of this type of employment within a correctional setting.
- 40%: What examples can you find of similar types of programs? Where they successful? Why or why not?
- 20%: Responses to Peer Posts
In your own words, please post a response to the Discussion Board and comment on at least two other postings. You will be graded on the quality of your postings.