A five-month-old Caucasian female is brought into the clinic as the parent indicates that she has been having ongoing foul-smelling, greasy diarrhea. She seems to be small for her age and a bit sickly but, her parent’s state that she has a huge appetite. Upon examination you find that the patient is wheezing and you observe her coughing. After an extensive physical exam and work-up, the patient is diagnosed with cystic fibrosis.
- What is the etiology of cystic fibrosis?
- Describe in detail the pathophysiological process of cystic fibrosis.
- Identify hallmark signs identified from the physical exam and symptoms.
- Describe the pathophysiology of complications of cystic fibrosis.
- What teaching related to her diagnosis would you provide the parents?