- Describe the main ideas of the theory (should include the assumptions under which the theory operates).
- What are the main concepts?
- What are the main relationships between the concepts?
- How do different concepts affect each other?
Origins of the Theory
- What was going on in the profession of nursing or in American society that may have influenced the theory?
- What values, theories, evidence, and/or existing knowledge did the theorist cite as support for the theory?
- What motivated the theorist to write the theory?
- What approach to theory development did the theorist use?
- How useful is this theory in practice?
- Is the theory practical and helpful to nursing?
- Does it contribute to understanding and predicting outcomes?
- Cite an example/case study where this theory could be used.
- How testable is this theory?
- Has this theory generated research? How many and what types of studies?
- Give one example of a study done using the theory
- What types of statements are the propositions?
- Is the theory comprehensive and specific?
- How general is the theory?
- Summarize the strengths and weaknesses of the theory.
- Why would you use or not use this theory in your own advanced practice? (Begin to think about the your presentation “Synthesis of Nursing Theory”).