Essays are creative work that teachers love. But students dislike it a little. A little practice – and with its helps, you can join the desired specialty, pass the exam with excellent marks, win a prestigious competition, etc. From this article, you will learn: what an essay is and how to write it, how to deal with the plan, structure and how to avoid common mistakes.
What is work?
An essay is a small composition. In French, this Word means experience, paper, sketch.
Usually, it expresses the author’s position on a particular issue and it is not guided by the truth and completeness. Therefore, many teachers consider it the most creative way to test students’ knowledge.
This work is practiced in high schools, exams, universities, and as a test task for applicants for specific vacancies.
What is an essay?
What is the best way to understand an essay? It would help if you classified it according to the characteristics:
- Philosophical, historical, literary-critical, artistic, artistic-journalistic, spiritual-religious, etc.;
- Form. Reviews, notes, diary pages, letters, etc.;
- Relation to what was said. Subjective (reveal any personality traits) and objective (focused on the problem);
- Way of writing. These include descriptive, reflective, critical, narrative, analytical, etc.
Characteristic features of an essay
There exists signs that help distinguish this type of work from others and make it possible not to miss important aspects.
These signs include:
- Specific topic or question. The spectrum of problems is not analyzed here, in contrast to other forms of knowledge testing;
- Subjective opinion or impression that does not pretend to be a complete interpretation;
- The content contains an assessment of the author’s personality: his thoughts, feelings, and perception of the world;
- Detailed analysis of the problem, implying the expression of a subjective opinion, supported by facts;
- Relative brevity. The text does not imply large volumes and lengthy reasoning. Use metaphors, comparisons, but be brief;
- The logic of the story. Despite the rather loose composition, the text is characterized by internal unity, consistency, and consistency of the author’s statements.
What does the correct structure of perfect essay consist of?
The structure contains all the essential elements of scientific work: introduction, central part, and conclusion.
Many people rely on the introductory word, and with its help, grab the reader’s attention. This is the right decision since the introduction contains the wording of the problem. A well-written introduction helps to tune the reader to the straight emotional wave and smoothly approach the problem.
The central part is devoted to the formulation of different points of view on a specific problem. Includes sub-clauses consisting of three sections: thesis (judgment), justification (arguments proving the thesis). Also, sub-conclusion does not fully answer the question posed.
Argumentation is essential here. With its help, the reader is convinced that the expressed point of view is correct. The arguments are stories from life, the opinions of researchers, links to research, etc.
The argument is built like this:
- Final judgment.
The final part contains conclusions on the above thesis. The problem is repeated, and decision is made. The last part aims to create a holistic picture and make readers think.
How to write a perfect essay correctly?
If you have already figured out its signs and structure, it’s time to study writing rules.
Choosing a theme
If there is no list of topics, consider the target audience. The text for the teacher, commission, and employer will vary. Think about what the reviewer will pay attention to. Choose a theme that will showcase your best qualities and abilities.
If a list of topics is offered, take one that interests you to express yourself.
Where to start making a perfect essay?
The hardest part is getting started. We carefully studied all the recommendations and chose the most effective ones:
- Formulate an idea, define a goal, select the sources with which you will work;
- Do not think for a long time over the introduction: it can be written after the primary and conclusion. This way, you will already know how to approach the topic;
- Start with the question you will answer later in the text. This will set the right direction for thinking;
- Use a freewriting technique. We will consider it in more detail later.
I have already written in detail about how to start a perfect essay.
How to make the perfect essay plan?
The first thing you need to understand is that you won’t make a perfect plan the first time. In the process of work, it can and should be edited. The definition of “ideal” is not entirely appropriate since there are no rigid frameworks and restrictions.
The plan is needed more to adhere to the logic of the presentation. Each point of the project is a new thought. If it needs to be described in more detail, subparagraphs are created.
The finished plan needs to be reviewed and make sure that its points are each in their place.
What are the spelling mistakes?
An essay’s advantage as a form of knowledge testing is that there is no time limit for writing. Having carefully studied the typical mistakes we have collected, you can write a competent text and get the desired score or position.
The most common errors are:
- Spelling, punctuation, stylistic, etc. This happens if the student is not good enough to proofread and check what has been written. It would be best if you avoided ambiguous expressions, unfortunate phrases. Services such as Grammarly will help in this matter;
- Stretched intro with no details. This applies not only to the introductory part but also to each thought. It is not enough to list statements: you need to confirm them with examples;
- Departure from the topic. This usually happens when the author delves into the information and details the example. There should be just enough text to make the thought clear;
- Long sentences. It isn’t easy to read text with a lot of commas and turns. Use short sentences. And even better – alternate them with long ones: this way, you give the reader a certain rhythm;
- Complex terms. Leave them for encyclopedias and reference books. Write as if you are speaking to a good friend.
How can freewriting help you?
Freewriting is a writing technique that removes perfectionism and fears of text or a blank page.
By sticking to freewriting, you regularly write for 10-15 minutes, do not edit or think about what you have written. This is a great way to upgrade your writing skills.
You can write by hand or in Word. And various online services help in this challenging task.