Hormone Replacement Therapy
In recent years, hormone replacement therapy has become a controversial issue. When prescribing therapies, advanced practice nurses must weigh the strengths and limitations of the prescribed supplemental hormones. If advanced practice nurses determine that the limitations outweigh the strengths, then they might suggest alternative treatment options such as herbs or other natural remedies, changes in diet, and increase in exercise.
Consider the following scenario:
· As an advanced practice nurse at a community health clinic, you often treat female (and sometimes male patients) with hormone deficiencies. One of your patients requests that you prescribe supplemental hormones. This poses the questions: How will you determine what kind of treatment to suggest? What patient factors should you consider? Are supplemental hormones the best option for the patient, or would they benefit from alternative treatments?
· Review Chapter 56 of the Arcangelo and Peterson text, as well as the Roberts and Hickey (2016), Lunenfeld et al (2015), and Makinen and Huhtaniemi (2011) articles in the Learning Resources.
· Review the provided scenario and reflect on whether or not you would support hormone replacement therapy.
· Locate and review additional articles about research on hormone replacement therapy for women and/or men. Consider the strengths and limitations of hormone replacement therapy.
· Based on your research of the strengths and limitations, again reflect on whether or not you would support hormone replacement therapy.
· Consider whether you would prescribe supplemental hormones or recommend alternative treatments to patients with hormone deficiencies.
With these thoughts in mind:
· a description of the strengths and limitations of hormone replacement therapy. (I am looking for an explanation at the cellular or molecular level (whenever possible).
· Based on these strengths and limitations, explain why you would or why you would not support hormone replacement therapy.
· Explain whether you would prescribe supplemental hormones or recommend alternative treatments to patients with hormone deficiencies and why.