Implementing Brand Strategy
Introduction: Marketers must constantly look for ways to generate revenue by building brand awareness. This Newsweek Video case is an interview with Larry Flax and Rick Rosenfield, executives at California Pizza Kitchen®. They offer insights into the benefits and challenges of implementing branding strategies.
About Larry S. Flax and Richard L. Rosenfield
In January, 2004, Larry S. Flax and Richard L Rosenfield co-founded California Pizza Kitchen. They are both Co-Presidents. In January 2002, the two men co-founded LA Food Show, Inc., a family-oriented grill and bar and now a wholly-owned subsidiary of CPK, and they served as Co-Presidents of that company. Previously, Mr. Flax and Mr. Rosenfield practiced law as principals in Flax and Rosenfield, Inc., after both served as Assistant United States Attorneys in Los Angeles.
Theory into Practice – Implementing Branding Strategies
View the Newsweek Video Case interview with Larry Flax & Rick Rosenfield regarding building brand awareness, brand extensions, product line extensions, and expansion of distribution channels (the P of Placement).
Answer the following questions:
- What are some of the challenges and considerations marketers must act upon to build brand awareness?
- What types of strategies has California Pizza Kitchen implemented to build their own brand awareness? Do you agree with these strategies?
- What else might California Pizza Kitchen do to increase their brand awareness?
- CPK presently operates in 11 countries outside of the U.S. How would you go about determining the best location for further international expansion?
- What are the risks inherent in brand extensions and expanding product lines? Within your response, include a relevant sentence or two quotes from your Kotler and Keller Marketing Management text to support your view.