Guidelines for the Development of the Position Paper
You are required to write a cogent paper describing a position on a professional issue related to health care.
My Topic: Physician Assisted Suicide
Thesis Statement: There is a certain amount of terminally ill patients in Virginia who are having to suffer for way too long and waiting for physician assisted suicide, in order to lower that number we need to take initiative and pass this law in Virginia by making it legal.
Main Question: Should Euthanasia or Physician Assisted Suicide be legalized in the United States?
MY MAIN POSITION Is I want to make Physician Assisted Suicide Legal in Virginia.
of the Position Statement:
1. Each paper draft should be at least 2500 words (about 8 standard double-spaced pages, plus additional pages for title and references.
2. Use section headings as instructed, to include: Introduction, Background, Opposing Arguments, Supporting Arguments, and Conclusion.
3. Clearly state your position on an issue in a concise manner in an introductory paragraph. Identify the audience for whom the position statement will be useful.
4. Describe the background of the issue that constitutes the rationale for the topic being labeled as an issue.
Background must include contemporary, relevant data and appropriate citations. Remember this is NOT an opinion paper. Therefore the background should include:
· Terminology related to your issue
· Legitimate research done on your issue in the form of internal documentation.
· Descriptions of the impact this data has on your issue.
5. When presenting your argument, discuss both sides of the issue and clearly state the position you are supporting. Identity and include defensible documentation supporting your position (such as: standards, codes, regulations, policy, criteria, and research findings).
6. Bring the paper to a logical conclusion by summarizing the essence of the argument and then conclude by restating your thesis or position in similar words used in the introduction to your position.
7. Apply principles of good composition, including appropriate sentence structure, grammar and meticulous attention to detail in every aspect of your writing. Strict APA Format standards will be applied to the grading of your paper so pay close attention to citations within the test and in the list of work cited. These standards also apply to the dra