- Choose a developed country and discuss how its model of health care (e.g., national health insurance, national health system, or socialized health insurance) differs from that of the United States.
- Discuss some of the strengthens and weaknesses of that model in comparison to what is offered in the United States.
PART 2 (500 WORDS AND 1 SCHOLARLY REFERENCE)
Public and private health insurance plays a very significant role in the delivery and funding or reimbursement of health care services, making it very important that all health care professionals understand, at a minimum, the basics of health insurance. For this assignment, you are required to discuss the following:
- Provide a definition of both private and public health insurance, and discuss the differences between private and public health insurance.
- Choose 1 public health insurance program (e.g., Medicare, Medicaid, or Children’s Health Insurance Program), and discuss the basics of that program and the financial impact it has had on health care delivery in the United States.
PART 3 (500 WORDS AND 1 SCHOLARLY REFERENCE)
Technology in health care has made it possible for patients to use devices to access their medical information, monitor vital signs, take tests at home, and carry out a plethora of other tasks that could only previously be conducted inside the doctor’s office (Topol, 2013). This enhanced technology is one of the many reasons that there has been a shift from inpatient to outpatient care. Although patients have benefited greatly from health care technology, there are also downsides to technology, such as how it has affected the cost of care. For this Discussion Board assignment, you should complete the following:
- Provide a definition of outpatient care.
- Discuss 2–3 ways in which technological innovations have impacted, or will impact, the delivery of care in the United States.
- Discuss 2–3 ways in which technology has had, or is expected to have, a detrimental impact on the delivery of care.
PART 4 (500 WORDS AND 1 SCHOLARLY REFERENCE)
In most other countries in the world, government plays a central role in covering health care needs; however, in the United States, the private sector (in the form of employer-sponsored health insurance) serves as the dominant form of medical coverage. For this assignment, discuss the following:
- Describe and discuss some of the ethical concerns or problems that exist because of the dominant form of employer-sponsored health insurance.
- Discuss reform actions that the U.S. government has taken to reduce the ethical concerns or problems that you discussed.
- Define the ethical principle of justice, and discuss its role in the U.S. health care system.