data analysis and quality improvement initiative proposal based on a health issue of professional interest to you. The audience for your analysis and proposal is the nursing staff and the interprofessional team who will implement the initiative.
“A basic principle of quality measurement is: If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it” (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2013).
Health care providers are on an endless quest to improve both care quality and patient safety. This unwavering commitment requires hospitals and care givers to increase their attention and adherence to treatment protocols to improve patient outcomes. Health informatics, along with new and improved technologies and procedures, are at the core of virtually all quality improvement initiatives. The data gathered by providers, along with process improvement models and recognized quality benchmarks, are all part of a collaborative, continuing effort. As such, it is essential that professional nurses are able to correctly interpret, and effectively communicate information revealed on dashboards that display critical care metrics.
- Toggle Drawer Questions to Consider
As you prepare to complete this assessment, you may want to think about other related issues to deepen your understanding or broaden your viewpoint. You are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community. Note that these questions are for your own development and exploration and do not need to be completed or submitted as part of your assessment.
Reflect on QI initiatives focused on measuring and improving patient outcomes with which you are familiar.
- How important is the role of nurses in QI initiatives?
- What quality improvement initiatives have made the biggest difference? Why?
- When a QI initiative does not succeed as planned, what steps are taken to improve or revise the effort?
- Toggle Drawer Resources
MSN Program Journey
Please review this guide for your degree program. It can help you stay on track for your practicum experience, so you may wish to bookmark it for later reference.
- MSN Program Journey | Transcript.
- Show More
- Assessment Instructions
In this assessment, you will propose a quality improvement (QI) initiative proposal based on a health issue of professional interest to you. The QI initiative proposal will be based on an analysis of dashboard metrics from a health care facility. You have one of two options:
If you have access to dashboard metrics related to a QI initiative proposal of interest to you:
- Analyze data from the health care facility to identify a health care issue or area of concern. You will need access to reports and data related to care quality and patient safety. If you work in hospital setting, contact the quality management department to obtain the data you need.
- You will need to identify basic information about the health care setting, size, and specific type of care delivery related to the topic that you identify. You are expected to abide by HIPAA compliance standards.
- Option 2
If you do not have access to a dashboard or metrics related to a QI initiative proposal:
- You may use the hospital data set provided in the media piece titled Vila Health: Data Analysis. You will analyze the data to identify a health care issue or area of concern.
- You will follow the same instructions and provide the same deliverables as your peers who select Option 1.
Analyze dashboard metrics related to the selected issue.
- Provide the selected data set in the proposal.
- Assess the stability of processes or outcomes.
- Delineate any problematic variations or performance failures.
- Evaluate QI initiatives on the selected health issue with existing quality indicators from other facilities, government agencies, and non-governmental bodies on quality improvement.
- Analyze challenges that meeting prescribed benchmarks can pose for a heath care organization and the interprofessional team.
- Outline a QI initiative proposal based on the selected health issue and data analysis.
- Identify target areas for improvement.
- Define what processes can be modified to improve outcomes.
- Propose strategies to improve quality.
- Define interprofessional roles and responsibilities as they relate to the QI initiative.
- Provide recommendations for effective communication strategies for the interprofessional team to ensure the success of the QI initiative. Briefly reflect on the impact of the proposed initiative on work-life quality of the nursing staff and interprofessional team.
- Integrate relevant sources to support arguments, correctly formatting citations and references using current APA style.