Assignment 1: Presidential Examples
Due Week 2 and worth 160 points
On 3 August 1990, the United Nations Security Council passed Resolution 600 condemning the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and demanding that Iraq unconditionally withdraw all forces deployed in Kuwait. After a series of failed negotiations between major world powers and Iraq, President George H.W. Bush conducted a one way negotiation, in front of the full support of Congress and the Senate, stating the requirements for a peaceful resolution to the invasion. Please watch the terms of the negotiation as presented in the video.
Watch the video mentioned in Chapter 1 of the text titled, “President George H.W. Bush – Address Before Congress on Iraq”, (6m 03s), located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll_GjnDCbjk.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Discuss the specific negotiation skills that President Bush utilized in his one-way negotiation session with Saddam Hussein that he addressed in front of Congress. Provide specific examples of these negotiation skills to support your rationale.
- Debate whether or not you believe President Bush’s approaches to the negotiation process were effective or ineffective in achieving his desired results. Justify your response.
- Indicate who you believe was in control of the outcome of the negotiation attempts—Bush or Hussein. Provide concrete examples of this control to support your position.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the skills and behavior needed for effective negotiations.
- Understand and apply the various negotiating strategies.
- Demonstrate the need to plan, organize, direct, and control as an effective negotiator.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in contracting and purchasing negotiation techniques.
- Write clearly and concisely about issues in contracting and purchasing negotiation techniques.