Welcome to Week 7!! Announcements
Just a few updates. This week we are just doing another Shadow Health exam. Our focus is cardiac, and you will be submitting your DCE score and documentation notes into the Assignment link for Week 7. The focused note is chest pain.
Take the feedback that you have been receiving and continue to focus on what is needed to complete a comprehensive focused exam. Education and empathy are always areas that can be improved and should be discussed.
I hope that you are enjoying the SH modules. The feedback is immediate, and you continue to take the module as many times as you need to gain full proficiency prior to the due date. All DCEâ€™s are due on Day 7.
Assignment 1: Digital Clinical Experience: Assessing the Heart, Lungs, and Peripheral Vascular System
In order to adequately assess the chest region of a patient, nurses need to be aware of a patient’s history, potential abnormal findings, and what physical exams and diagnostic tests should be conducted to determine the causes and severity of abnormalities.
In this DCE Assignment, you will conduct a focused exam related to chest pain using the simulation too, Shadow Health. Consider how a patient’s initial symptoms can result in very different diagnoses when further assessment is conducted.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources and the Advanced Health Assessment and Diagnostic Reasoning media program and consider the insights they provide related to heart, lungs, and peripheral vascular system.
- Review the Shadow Health Resources provided in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources specifically the tutorial to guide you through the documentation and interpretation with the Shadow Health platform. Review the examples also provided.
- Review the DCE (Shadow Health) Documentation Template for Focused Exam: Chest Pain found in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources and use this template to complete your Documentation Notes for this DCE Assignment.
- Access and login to Shadow Health using the link in the left-hand navigation of the Blackboard classroom.
- Review the Week 7 DCE Focused Exam: Chest Pain Rubric provided in the Assignment submission area for details on completing the Assignment in Shadow Health.
- Consider what history would be necessary to collect from the patient.
- Consider what physical exams and diagnostic tests would be appropriate to gather more information about the patient’s condition. How would the results be used to make a diagnosis?
DCE Focused Exam: Chest Pain Assignment:
Complete the following in Shadow Health:
- Cardiovascular Concept Lab (Required)
- Respiratory(Recommended but not required)
- Cardiovascular (Recommended but not required)
- Episodic/Focused Note for Focused Exam (Required): Chest Pain
Note: Each Shadow Health Assessment may be attempted and reopened as many times as necessary prior to the due date to achieve a total of 80% or better (this includes your DCE and your Documentation Notes), but you must take all attempts by the Week 7 Day 7 deadline.