A colleague from another country has limited English-speaking skills and does not comprehend the group task. Additionally, this colleague has the habit of giving gifts to business associates at the end of projects. Gift-giving is an expected part of business etiquette in her culture. How do you deal with these issues to ensure the success of the group? What criteria would you set early on in the process?
· Scenario 2: Your manager asks you to take on a new project that you think you could take on by yourself. He suggests that you form a task group with 15-20 members, which you think is too much. One of the members he recommends adding to the team is John. This gives you additional concern because you think John has had hidden agendas in the past. Even though you think you can do this on your own, how is a group decision different from an individual decision? How can you convince your manager that a smaller group would be better? How do you deal with John if your manager insists on him being in the group?
Discussion 2: Grabbing and Maintaining Attention
· Minimum of 1 video
· Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Initial Post Instructions For the initial post, address the following:
· Why is knowing your audience an important part of capturing and maintaining their attention?
· What cultural considerations do you need to take into account for your particular audience/topic?
· How are you going to keep the audience’s attention throughout the speech?
· Find at least one example on YouTube, TEDx, or other video repositories of good attention-getting examples. Post the URL and explain how the video is a good model for capturing the audience’s attention. The video can be on any topic but must be appropriate for sharing.
· Make sure to include a scholarly source to support your points.
Discussion 3: Delivery: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Find a video or article about speech anxiety, speech content, organization, or delivery. For the initial post, address the following:
· Summarize the content.
· Include tips on verbal and nonverbal communication with audience members of different cultures.
· Explain why you thought it was important.
· Determine how it will help you deliver a presentation.
Discussion 4: Relationships and Technology
Initial Post Instructions For the initial post, select one of the following options and address the related questions: